ABOUT MATT ANTONIAK
Lives and Works: Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Education: Fine Art BA Hons, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 2015
- Eaton Fund, United Kingdom, 2019
- A.M Parkin Prize, United Kingdom, 2015
- John Christie Prize, United Kingdom, 2012
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Matt Antoniak is an artist based in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK and has been exhibited widely in solo and group exhibitions. His works are held in public and private collections in the UK.
Scribbles, doodles and throwaway marks made by customers testing out pens and pencils at an art materials store in Newcastle have been secretly hoarded behind the counter by the artist whilst an employee over the past few years.
Rescued from the recycling bin these miniature works have been archived and documented by the artist and given new status through his diligent and precise recreations in paint on canvas, diligently challenging the authoritative register of modern art.
This earnest endeavour is sharply contrasted by the unintentional artlessness and bathos of the subject matter and naivety of the imagery. Through such strategies the artist seeks to evade moralistic traps of art and high-culture and move towards a wholly aesthetic liberation.
Prince's Trust Collection, UK, United Kingdom
EXHIBITIONS & RECENT SHOWS
- Testing, Group, Unit 3 Projects, London, UK, 2019
- Sasquatch, Solo, Test Space, Spike Island, Bristol, UK, 2019
- Matt Antoniak, Solo, Workplace Foundation, Gateshead, UK, 2019
- Elbows at Dawn, Two-person, Abingdon Studios, Blackpool, UK, 2018
- The Everyday Political, Group, CGP, London, UK, 2018
- Workplace Gallery
- Workplace Foundation
- Conduit Club
- CGP London
- Division of Labour
Artistic media: Painting